The Lancaster Community Library is looking for an innovative and seasoned leader to serve as the library director in Kilmarnock, VA in the vibrant Northern Neck area of Virginia. With community engagement a hallmark of this library, a recent library capital campaign provided a 27,000 sq ft new home for the library. LCL is a 21st Century community library with holdings in diverse print and electronic resources, ebooks, audiobooks, digital movies, music and other media; genealogical search resources; robust children’s and adult services and programming and a variety of technological resources.
The Library Director is expected to be a leader with an exceptional array of skills and initiative to provide the vision as the key executive overseeing library services. At LCL, the Library Director reports to a governing board of 12 members who are committed to the library’s success and works with a modest but energized FT and PT staff and significant volunteer workforce.
LCL is a 501(c)3 non-profit as defined by the IRS. LCL maintains a balanced budget from a diverse revenue stream including funding from the Commonwealth of Virginia, Lancaster County, various community grants, private donations, and an annual disbursement from the library’s endowment.
The Locale: Lancaster County is located in the coastal plains of eastern Virginia, bound by the Rappahannock River and the Chesapeake Bay. Geography destined Lancaster County to be one of Virginia's leading resort, boating and retirement communities with 180 miles of shoreline with expansive views, residential and business property. Close proximity to the major metropolitan areas of Washington, DC, Richmond and Hampton Roads allows for cultural experiences beyond Lancaster County. With an active population of 11,466 and a reasonable cost of living, Lancaster County is a desirable residential community to raise families, pursue life-long learning, vacation home enjoyment and coastal living well into retirement. The area hosts educational, recreational, arts, financial, retail and medical facilities that draw folks with a rich life experiences and interests.
• Documented skill to explore challenging issues and innovations, make assessments, develop strategies for resolution, and assemble necessary resources for the achievement of goals and priorities in conjunction with library initiatives.
• Proven communication skills to interact with the community, make presentations, participate in forums, conduct meetings, grant writing, fundraising, and cultivating donors in both one-on-one and group settings.
• Proven interpersonal skills and ability to develop relationships with county officials, community leaders, and non-profit partners to maximize the impact of library services.
• Possess a management style based on inspiring rather than on hierarchy and directives. Demonstrates a leadership fstyle of inclusion, collaboration and teamwork.
• Embrace technology and the use of technological advances within library services.
• Possess a love of reading, is well read, and has a broad knowledge of classics as well as contemporary literature and current authors.
• Proven financial management skills with ability to assess and improve operational performance, interpret financial statements and balance sheets, run a financially responsible program and budget process.
• Facilities management and oversight expertise to ensure the physical environment is safe and welcome to all.
Qualifications: Career track of progressive leadership roles in library services. The ideal candidate brings a record of success as a director or assistant director of a successful public library for 8 years, demonstrating strong credentials and a broad perspective in library programs, technology and services. A Master of Library Science from an ALA accredited school and the ability to obtain professional librarian certification in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Position is open until filled with preference given to applications received before March 30th, 2017.
Applicants: please send a cover letter, resume and references via USPS or email listed below:
The LCL Search Committee
P.O. Box 850
Kilmarnock, Virginia 22482
email: lclibrary61 [at] gmail [dot] com