Conover & Claremont Branch Librarian
Catawba County’s Library system is committed to turning outward in order to further reach our underserved populations, advocate for universal access, and promote diversity within our community and staffing. The information for the job posting is below and can also be found by going to our website at http://www.catawbacountync.gov/HumanResources/JoinOurTeam
Salary: $42,221.90 (Negotiable, Dependent Upon Qualifications)
Catawba County Library System is recruiting for a Professional Librarian with excellent customer and information services, programming, collaboration, and outreach skills, who is enthusiastic about the value of early literacy and lifelong learning. We invite you to join our efforts to empower lives and build our community by bringing people, information and ideas together.
This position oversees the Conover and Claremont Branch Libraries, and facilitates and provides professional library services to customers of all ages; meeting the needs of the community both in the library and beyond our walls. The Conover-Claremont Branch Librarian plans, promotes, and implements programs, services, and outreach in collaboration with community partners, both in the library and the community, and provides responsive reference and technology assistance for diverse customers' information needs. The library provides dynamic services, spaces and technologies to enable all forms of learning, discovery, and research. Work requires excellent interpersonal skills, initiative, and project management in partnering with the public to build collaborative relationships, programs, and services, and to identify positive solutions to obstacles. Schedule is typically Tuesday-Saturday including some evenings.
• A Master's Degree in Library Science (ALA accredited preferred), with a preference for prior professional library and supervisory experience
• NC Public Library Certification (may obtain following hire)
• A valid driver's license is required.
• Experience with technologies including Internet web browsers and productivity software including Microsoft Office Suite, and resume and job searching skills
• Position is considered light duty, lifting up to 20 pounds on a regular basis
CUSTOMER AND LIBRARY SERVICES
• Provide a full range of welcoming and responsive library services, including reference, circulation, reader's advisory, technology, workforce development, and instructional services in individual and group settings using print and electronic information resources.
• Provide highly interactive Every Child Ready to Read story programs to ensure children start school ready to learn and positioned to excel, and promote caregiver engagement in early literacy learning.
• Provide engaging hands-on learning opportunities to enhance Catawba County students' interest and knowledge in science, technology, engineering, arts and math (STEAM) concepts.
• Work with the Summer Reading team to plan, implement and coordinate the Summer Reading program for children, teens and adults.
• Create and implement a regular schedule of computer workshops, job skills training and one-on-one assistance to ensure technology access across the community, bridge the digital divide, and to support personal growth and further career readiness for citizens.
• Collaborate with colleagues and community partners to develop, publicize, and implement a regular schedule of culturally and intellectually diverse life-long learning opportunities and events for all age groups which encourage reading, viewing, and listening and the use of the library facilities and materials.
• Participate on the Collection Development team to evaluate and select materials for library acquisition and de-selection.
• Participate on the Technology Team to maintain, evaluate and update branch technology resources, and assists customers individually and in groups.
• Engage in outreach and serve as a liaison to community agencies that serve children and their caregivers, including schools, daycares and preschools, and other community organizations to build community presence and raise awareness of the library's essential role in early literacy, lifelong learning, and economic revitalization.
• Work collaboratively with Catawba County School systems to support student learning through implementation of collaborative access and learning project plans.
• Demonstrated initiative in developing and implementing solutions, programs, projects to connect with the community.
• Collaborate and communicate with a wide variety of individuals including library staff, Friends of the Library, City and County agencies and community leaders to develop strategies for engaging the community and moving the Library forward.
• Facilitate a welcoming library facility and responsive public services by proactively maintaining library facilities, services, collections, and equipment that are convenient, accurate and meet community needs: promptly addressing facility issues, opening and closing the library, handling emergency situations.
• Facilitate and contribute in a work environment that encourages high performance, collaboration, innovation and customer service, modeling and ensuring excellence in service with staff and volunteers.
• Supervise branch staff, manage branch workflows, responsibilities and conduct annual performance evaluations.
• Administer surveys, prepare statistics and reports related to programming and reference services, and facilitate performance measurements demonstrating successful achievement of library outcomes.
• Participate in grant seeking and grant project implementation and management.
• Ability to build and maintain excellent working relationships with staff, other County employees, community leaders and the general public, which includes promoting community interest in library services.
• Ability to develop collaborations and facilitate successful programming and events with internal and external teams.
• Ability to represent the library and communicate the library's mission, strategic plan, and philosophy with internal and external audiences.
• Extensive experience with technologies including Internet web browsers and productivity software including Microsoft Office Suite, and resume and job searching skills.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills and strong analytical thinking skills.
• Ability to perform research using library equipment and resources, and instruct staff and customers in the use of library resources and technologies.
• Highly motivated, with initiative and ability to work successfully independently as well as in a collaborative team environment.
• Ability to proactively defend free access to information and effectively resolve issues related to intellectual freedom.
1. Attach a cover letter highlighting your interest in this position, along with your resume.
2. Tell us how you go about proactively building working relationships with work colleagues, community members, and key stakeholders.
3. Tell us about library programs or services you have developed and implemented in collaboration with community partners.